Thursday, May 2, 2013

Bursitis on Ice

Wednesday night, I went skating and could barely move around. And it's all my fault.

Monday my orthopod had drawn his Thumb of Pain down my hip and diagnosed "Bursitis"

Yes, fixing me is a construction project. The bursitis was always there  but its depth was masked by my knee pain.
So after an initial  adjustment to my physical therapy Tuesday, I power muscled my way through my exercises. I paid for it Wednesday, when I could barely do a crossover.  That's the bursitis acting up.
It hurt here
Today, the PT backed off on the weights, and I hang my head in shame. I'm for my height I'm strong and I got carried away. I should have left my PT know I was 'challenged' by the weights I was doing.

I got Ultrasound treatment for the bursitis at the end of my exercises this afternoon.  This involved partially disrobing in a treatment room to expose my hip. If I'd known I was going to have to do that, I would have worn my Sunday go to meeting panties.

The Ultrasound does make my hip feel better.  I can't help but wonder how it works though. I had it 30 years ago for scar tissue in a shoulder, and it worked a miracle. I'm hoping it does the same here.

I'm a sucker for technology

Lesson learned. Just because I'm small but mighty, I don't need to rise to the challenge every time.  I can slack off with lighter weights for a while.




3 comments:

  1. I have bursitis in my hips. It SUCKS when it flares up.

    I do have my "PT Underware"... not the good stuff, but not the yucky stuff either!

    Hope you are feeling better. I had to switch PTs when my insurance changed, and I'm not crazy about the new one. She's very hands off, and the manipulation+ultrasound did wonders for pain management in my knees. This lady just wants me to stretch and strengthen, which I know I should do, but they aren't really short term pain management strategies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the sympathy. I'm about 40% better. WE'll see how tomorrow goes during lesson. I take ice packs with me to work and stretch and ice several times a day.

      Delete
  2. Turmeric. It has anti-inflammatory properties. Acupuncture helps tremendously if you have any kind of pain anywhere.

    ReplyDelete